The Long County Chamber of Commerce welcomes you to Long County, Georgia! Our chamber has a vision for Long County and is actively working to fulfill that vision. We believe in providing an entrepreneurial friendly atmosphere in Long County that supports new businesses and jobs.
We want our area to be a destination for people from outside of Long County, so that they can see the benefit of spending a few hours or staying for a lifetime. We believe in a strong educational system as well as the creation of additional recreational and cultural activities. We believe in and care about the future of Long County.
Long County was created in 1920 from parts of Liberty County. Georgia’s 157th county was named for Dr. Crawford W. Long, the Georgian responsible for introducing anesthesia to modern medical practice. The county seat, and sole incorporated municipality, is Ludowici. Ludowici was named to honor a German immigrant, William Ludowici, who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school.
Some sites of historical significance are the Ludowici Well Pavilion (1907), the Jones Creek Baptist Church (1856), and the Walthourville Presbyterian Church (1884).
Originally a trail used by Indians, Old Barrington Road became an important trade route between the Carolina’s and Florida in the early 1700s. It also was critical during the Revolutionary War for the troop movements.
The northeastern tip of Long County is occupied by part of the sprawling U.S. Army installation, Fort Stewart, which also occupies significant portions of the neighboring counties.
The Altamaha River forms the boundary between Long and its southern neighbor, Wayne County.